1. News & Issues
Charles Montaldo

Debra Lafave Probation Ends Early

By September 23, 2011

A former Florida middle school teacher who made national headlines by admitting she had sex with a 14-year-old student has been released from probation four years early. Debra Lafave, who is now a mother of twins, requested that Judge Wayne S. Timmerman terminate her probation early.

Her probation was originally set to end in November 2015.

Lafave was facing 30 years in prison when she entered a guilty plea in March 2006 in a plea deal that allowed her to serve three years of house arrest followed by seven years probation.

No Trouble During Probation

The plea deal was offered because the mother of the victim did not want him to have to testify in open court. She did not want his name to be revealed in public records or shown on Court TV.

"To every extent, we believe Ms. Lafave has done everything the court ordered her to do and done it well," Lafave's attorney, John Fitzgibbons told the judge.

Lafave's only known trouble during her probation came when she was arrested in December 2007 for breaking her probation by talking to juvenile co-workers at a fast-food restaurant where she worked. It took the judge 11 seconds to rule that those conversations were not a violation of her probation.

House Arrest Sentence Shortened Too

In July 2008, Judge J. Rogers Padgett shortened Lafave's three years of house arrest to two years. It was part of her original sentence that her house arrest could be reduced if she had no violations during the first two years.

In October 2009, Judge Timmerman ruled that Lafave could have unsupervised contact with children after she completed a court-ordered sex offender program.

Judge Timmerman's ruling this week drew fire from prosecutors and the victim's family. Prosecutors said they planned to appeal the ruling because there was no provision in the original sentence for the probation to be terminated early; it was not part of the plea agreement.

Victim's Family Opposes Ruling

Meanwhile, the unidentified mother of the victim, who is now 21 years old, strongly disagreed with the judge's decision.

"I am absolutely positively against her getting early probation," she told reporters. "Just because she had twins is a ridiculous excuse. And she's tired of probation? What type of excuse is that? Her actions have forever impacted our family."

During the hearing, Fitzgibbons described Lafave as an "engaged mother of twins." Lafave was present at the hearing, but said nothing.

See Also:
Debra Lafave No Longer on Probation

Background:
The Debra Lafave Case

Mug Shot Gallery:
Women Arrested for Sex Crimes

Photo: Mug Shot

Comments

September 23, 2011 at 6:43 am
(1) Paul says:

Let me remind everyone that this is the woman who the judge was quoted as saying “she’s too pretty to go to jail”. Every step of the way these judges are bending over backwards to give her every break in the book. Makes you wonder where their priorities are and if they believe she will be “indebted” to them. Had this been a male teacher having sex with a fourteen year old female student, he would still be rotting away in prison with a 15-20 year sentence.

September 23, 2011 at 7:48 am
(2) Melissa says:

I so agree with the prior comment. This is crap. Anyone else would have to serve their entire sentence. The fact that she is “too pretty to go to jail” is bull. She should have to finish out her sentence just like everyone else. And, if for some reason she does not have to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life, there should be all kinds of hell raised.

September 23, 2011 at 7:55 am
(3) Amy says:

You bring up a point–something that has NOT been reported. Did shehave to register as a life long sex offender? And, if not, why not. As Paul says, any male in this position would be rotting in jail, and they also would be registered as sex offenders. There are quite a number of offenses that get males on that list, some not actually sexual acts, so this woman (and all the others convicted of inappropriate or sexual contact w/children) should certainly be on that list.

September 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm
(4) Bob says:

I cannot believe she should have been charged at all. The male must do something physically in order to engage in the sex act; that is have an erection and sustain it while the female has none of these things. Sounds to me like he raped her!
And as far as the statement by the mother that this incident will “impact their lives forever”. Sounds to me like a prelude to a forthcoming law suit. She could care less about the incident, she wants MONEY!
I wonder which Trailer Park she lives in.

September 23, 2011 at 8:37 am
(5) Edge says:

All I can say is that the kid should have kept his mouth shut… he is my Hero!
Wish I could have found a teacher that hot to have sex with when I was 14

September 23, 2011 at 8:41 am
(6) Elle says:

You sound stupid!

September 23, 2011 at 10:27 am
(7) Janine says:

I agree with you, Elle.

September 23, 2011 at 3:02 pm
(8) Wes says:

It may sound stupid, but its the truth that every guy on earth would admit to. 14 does sound like a young age, but I remember being 14. I would have been more than happy to do it, and it wouldn’t have “emotionally” dramatized me. A 14 year old girl would be different, which is a sad truth. It is absurd that the teacher is getting off easy, but I assure you the 14 year old(now 21) is high fiving his friends STILL to this day.

September 23, 2011 at 8:39 am
(9) Elle says:

I just hope that her boys aren’t raped when they are 14 by some “beautifully” teacher. I bet she’d feel differently if the shoe where on the other foot. This is sickening! She is lucky that those parents — that child’s mother did not grab her and choke her. I know many mothers that would’ve. If she were a man – this would have a different outcome. Beauty is not beauty at all – she’s the beast!

September 23, 2011 at 9:27 am
(10) Edge says:

LOL… wish you could poll every man and see what they have to say about it!

Shes the Beast! OMG

Let it go already

September 23, 2011 at 8:47 am
(11) Fillup says:

It’s over, move on.

September 23, 2011 at 9:30 am
(12) Anticipation says:

Stop the quibbling. She is clearly too pretty to go to jail. You should all be happy that she is completely reformed. Anyone know how to get in contact with her?

September 23, 2011 at 9:34 am
(13) Edge says:

LOL… She actually live in the same town as I do, seen her a few times and no matter where she goes she gets the “look” from people like Elle, Paul Melissa and Amy. Most just let her be.

September 23, 2011 at 9:47 am
(14) gail wilson says:

Florida is known for shortening sentences.
Whether it be a life one or not.

September 23, 2011 at 10:32 am
(15) Edge says:

If all the northerners would quit moving down here we wouldn’t have to!

September 23, 2011 at 10:23 am
(16) Anticipation says:

Edge…lucky dog. Do the right thing man…and then blog about it for those of us that need the vicarious thrill.

September 24, 2011 at 10:43 am
(17) joni says:

Just get over it!!

January 30, 2013 at 4:02 am
(18) cpanel hosting web hosting hub ssl certifcates says:

Excellent site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of
any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here?

I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you!