1. News & Issues
Charles Montaldo

Weekly Crime Poll: Naked Man in His Home Arrested

By October 23, 2009

A Virginia man, Eric Williamson, was arrested and charged with indecent exposure for being nude in his home.

According to Williamson, he was in was in his home, packing and going back and forth to his kitchen at 5:30 a.m., in the nude. During that time a woman with her son cut through his lawn and spotted him in the house.

She contacted police who went to the Williamson's home later while he was napping. They entered his home, woke him up, handcuffed him and hauled him off to jail.

The woman, who was allegedly trespassing on his property, told police she thought Williamson purposely exposed himself to her and her son. Williamson said he never saw the woman and the entire incident took him by surprise.

Should the police drop the charges? See Also: Crime and Punishment Weekly Crime Polls

Photo: Mugshot

Comments

October 23, 2009 at 4:52 am
(1) Shywan says:

I’m so sorry the options are so limited. I for one don’t have enough information. I find the fact that the woman was tresspassing insightful insofar, as this might mean that the man could not be seen from the street, and could only be seen from his own property. In that case I think the charges should definitly be dropped.

I still find it a bit over the top to arrest someone for walking naked *in his own home*.

I find it harsh that he is arrested ‘because *the police* thinks he wanted to be seen’. If they keep those charges, it might set a spooky precedent.

I do find the question ‘is there a chance to be seen?’ relevant, but still not a reason for an arrest. A warning maybe. If the guy thén goes and does it again, you might have a small basis for the case that he wanted to be seen. But just after one incident?

shywan, nehterlands.

October 23, 2009 at 10:29 am
(2) TeresaE says:

Our government can already take our property and gift it to another taxpayer – to make more tax revenue.

Now, our government can arrest us for being NUDE in our own homes? It is bad enough I can be arrested for other things in my own home.

Americans do not value and appreciate the beauty of our Constitution, and we have done NOTHING to keep it as the highest law of the land. Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness is exchanged for “protection,” “safety” and “security.” Yet we are less safe and secure, yet more governed.

This is yet more proof of our ultimate collapse. When the government becomes our captors and parents the end of our great Republic is nigh.

October 23, 2009 at 11:37 am
(3) Fran says:

What kind of logic are the cops using here anyway? That the guy ‘wanted to be seen nude’ – by WHO at 5:30am in the dark in his own house by some people trespassing? I say arrest the peeping tom trespassor!!

October 23, 2009 at 12:47 pm
(4) Brian says:

This is typical reaction of the Springfield district police station. Did they knock on the door and ask the man to cover up? The police at the Rolling Road station respond swiftly and forcefully to neighborhood gossip without regards to a citizen’s right. If charges are made against a man, the Springfield station automatically assigns a domestic violence detective (they disregard the definition of domestic violence, look it up.) to the case and you are a treated as guilty until you prove your innocence. In the Orange Hunt area of Fairfax County if you don’t live the same lifestyle as the ‘community leaders’ and busybodies, you are targeted, with the help of the local police. I’ve had to resort to placing “highly reflective film” on my windows to ensure my privacy. (Yes, it generated a complaint) No surprise the privacy invader is only identified as ‘just happens to be a police officer’s wife’ but the victim in his home has his name spread around the world. (Literally) The boys and girls at the Springfield station do cover their own. Whether the whole truth comes out, is optional with them. Try filing a FOIA involving a Springfield station officer and see what you get besides being told lies. They refuse to put their actions in writing, using variable excuses. Lack of accountability is the norm with our local police station in Springfield. I’ve been arrested four times over neighborhood gossip and the police go out of their way to make the charges stick. They never have, yet the police won’t admit to their mistakes, they just keep trying! Even when cases are dismissed, because they lack evidence and only rely on gossip and hearsay, they won’t come clean. They won’t acknowledge their over zealous force on the community and tries to bully citizens asking questions trying to make them accountable. If you look into this rogue group, I would imagine there would be other cases that show the police state in this community.

October 23, 2009 at 5:28 pm
(5) JFD8 says:

Busted for one woman’s nagging,
Coffee Guy set tongues a-wagging;
He legally brewed
At home in the nude
Rather than public teabagging.

News Short n’ Sweet by JFD8

October 24, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(6) Scott B says:

Reminds me of “The Naked Guy” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Martinez), but Virginia is a long way from Berkeley….

October 24, 2009 at 5:30 pm
(7) F.C. says:

Fran said it best already.

Quote: “What kind of logic are the cops using here anyway? That the guy ‘wanted to be seen nude’ – by WHO at 5:30am in the dark in his own house by some people trespassing? I say arrest the peeping tom trespasser!!”

BUT I will ad that I read in another publication that the mother and her child were passing by the house (trespassing not mentioned) and that the man did see them, and THEN moved to his living room and stood in front of his picture window, still nude. So, that gives it a different slant, wouldn’t you say? How much can we believe that is written in newspapers?

October 25, 2009 at 9:37 pm
(8) D'Michelle says:

What is the world coming to? With the economy the way it is, this sure is a waste of justice to arrest someone for being naked in their own home. Next you will be arrested for having sex in your home if someone peeps in your window and sees it. What law says you have to close your blinds or curtains?

October 26, 2009 at 12:33 pm
(9) Glenda says:

Its hard for me to believe that the cops would arrest that man, but they did. If I were the man I would charge that woman with tresspassing and have her pay a fine too. But with the times as they are the city gets its money from anywhere they can and stupid fines are one of them. This town is a joke.

October 26, 2009 at 4:56 pm
(10) scott says:

fran said it best. why is this woman looking into someones window at 5:30 in the morning, great things to be teaching your children, trespassing, peeping tom.

October 28, 2009 at 10:23 am
(11) Paisley says:

The U.S has become a laughingstock -a travesty That police and citizens would waste everyones time for this issue. This person should get a good lawyer who wants to get publicity for himself and the values of our CONSTITUTION and countersue everyone of those finger pointers involved.We are so dumbed down and amoral and in denial of our ploice state that we focus on this BS instead of the criminals in power.

October 28, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(12) CHERYL says:

if we can not run around inside our own home naked and it faces on our property when people need our permission to be then it isnt a free world any longer. Why was she looking inside of the man’s window if she was just cutting through his yard? As a grown woman she should know you dont walk on your neighbors grass as out of respect for your neighbor. And she could of used her son as a excuse to get a better look at her neighbor. If a man did what she did with a child and it was a woman he would be a peeping Tom. So I guess she could be called a peeping Mom. Who knows. Going where you dont belong you take what you get or in her case you get what you see. I feel sorry for her son because I am sure he will be getting teased from some of his classmates but a responsible parent would think first before doing such a stupid deal and then after looking into your neighbors window press charges. cjo

October 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm
(13) Lloyd says:

While it’s true that, under law, the eyes cannot commit a trespass it is also true that a man’s (or woman’s) home is their castle. Even under the old English law, what you did in the sanctity of your own home was protected unless it was proven to be of physical danger to others. I really have a hard time believing that police in this day and age would actually arrest someone given the fact basis given here. If they did, perhaps they should look for other employment….perhaps they could run for congress….they would fit in nicely there.

November 2, 2009 at 4:30 pm
(14) Pappee says:

Why didn’t he have the curtains closed if he was going to walk around in the nude?

November 5, 2009 at 5:22 am
(15) Artemisia says:

THE POLICE SHOULD DROP THE CHARGE. BECAUSE IN MY HOME I DO AND GO AROUND HOW I LIKE. AND AT 5.30 IN THE MORNING !!!!!!!
SHE WAS TRESPASSING !!!I THINK THAT THE POLICE SHOULD HAVE OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO ATTEND TO,THAN WORRIE ABOUT A MAN GOING AROUND NAKED IN HIS HOME.

July 5, 2010 at 10:11 am
(16) John says:

Once more our country is taking care of the guilty trespasser than a citizen on his own property. Just as our “Officials” want to take care illegal alliens. Arrest the Trespasser!!

Take care of Americans before we are forced to fight back.
912

September 17, 2013 at 11:26 pm
(17) Daniel Selman says:

Some people just are so prude.Its pathetic.Anyway thats beside the point.Billy don’t look at that mans penis his is bigger.Seriously though,I Feel That if the window she saw him through was also visible off his property then there would be grounds for a fine.Note I put Fine here.Because I don’t feel it should be more than A misdemeaner.Being naked and being sexual while your naked would be A DIFFERENT THING.Like if He was Masturbating through the window for the world to see and her son saw that.Then your looking at Two Higher charges..
Last I checked being nude on your own property isn’t a crime.I’ll bet you though she saw out of the corner of her eye a figure that resembled A nude man and her son probably had no clue,and she said Billy lets cut through this way for the close up.