If you have decided to install an alarm system in your home, you will need to be sure that the alarm company you choose can provide the service that it promises to deliver. The Virginia Beach, Virginia Police Department suggests the following tips before deciding which company you choose to provide your alarm system and services.
Time Required: A few minutes
- Ask if the company carries general liability, workman's compensation, and errors/omissions insurance. You can ask for certificates of insurance for these items. If the company is not properly protected, any claims or losses may fall on you, the homeowner.
- Ask to see the company's business license, which allows them to do business in your community.
- Ask for referrals of other customers in your area that have had systems installed like the one you are considering.
- Ask if the company has been established for three to five years.
- Ask where alarm system monitoring center is located. Some companies have their central monitoring center located in other states.
- Be sure the company does the entire installation and does not subcontract work.
- Review the contract carefully before you sign to make sure everything is agreed on is in writing. Know what the warranty period is and what is included in the warranty.
What You Need
- The determination to ask tough questions.