State Requirements: Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns:
- Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
- Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
- Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
- Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
- Permit to purchase handgun? No
- Registration of handguns? No
- Licensing of owners of handguns? No
- Permit to carry handguns? Yes
- No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
- Law enforcement authorities have advised that minors cannot carry or possess a handgun.
- It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession, or on his person, or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place, or within 1,000 feet of a demonstration after being warned by a police officer.
- It is unlawful to possess, sell, or use a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun.
- It is unlawful to carry a concealed pistol, firearm, or airgun without a permit.
- It is unlawful to carry a rifle or shotgun walking cane.
- No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own home or fixed place of business, without a license.
- Exempt from this prohibition are law enforcement officers, common carriers, and persons carrying unloaded handguns in a secure wrapper from a place of purchase to one’s home or business, or to or from a place of repair, or in moving from one home or business to another.
- Any airport, courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms.
- Any city, state and federal facilities.
- Any public gatherings such as sporting events, political events, parades, etc.
The sheriff of a county may, upon the application of any person residing In that county, issue a qualified or unlimited license to carry a handgun in a vehicle or concealed on or about one's person for not more than one year if the applicant:
- Is 21 years of age.
- Has good reason to fear injury to his person or property.
- Has any other proper reason for carrying a handgun.
- "Is a suitable person" to be so licensed.
Antiques and Replicas:
- It is unlawful to change or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer’s number, or other mark or identification of any firearm. It is unlawful to possess, sell or use such a firearm.
- It is unlawful to make any loan secured by a mortgage, deposit, or pledge of a handgun.
- It is unlawful to supply false information or evidence in purchasing or otherwise securing delivery of a pistol, or in applying for a license to carry a handgun.
- It is unlawful to possess or sell brass or steel teflon-coated handgun ammunition, or any ammunition of like kind designed to penetrate bulletproof vests. This prohibition does not apply to teflon-coated lead or brass ammunition designed to expand upon contact.
- It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm within any wildlife management area without a "permit allowing this privilege."
- It is a misdemeanor to hunt with a center-fire rifle, a shotgun using a slug or shot larger in diameter than standard four shot, or a .40 caliber or larger muzzle-loading rifle, within 50 yards of a public road, public highway, or railroad by anyone other than the landowner or his or her immediate family.
- It is unlawful to discharge any firearm upon or across any public road, public highway or railroad.
National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action
A synopsis of state laws on purchase, possession and carrying of firearms.