1. News & Issues
The nation is always shocked by criminal cases such as Andrea Yates, a mother of five who methodically drowned all of her children in a bathtub then calmly called police, but mothers killing their children are more common than we might think. More than 200 women kill their children in the United States each year. Read More...

More Information:

Photo: Mug Shot

Comments

May 2, 2007 at 2:59 am
(1) Lia says:

I am currently writing a paper for a speech on racial profiling and happened upon this article while researching Susan Smith. I just had to take a moment to cry for every child that died at the hands of anyone, but especially their mother, the hands that we have so long been told could never hurt you but simply protect. As soon as I finish this comment, I am going into my sons’ bedroom to kiss their sleeping faces and give thanks to the Creator that I love my children so much that I could never do them any harm.

June 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm
(2) daveon says:

i would not sleep if i killed my kids .. how could she sleep when she is knowin that her kids are deed and she killed them every time i think about it just kills me inside every time i think about my kids i think about them

September 9, 2008 at 6:34 pm
(3) jeff says:

women who kill their children should be put to death… if a man kill his child he is put in prison for long time or put to death… women want egual rights but dont think they should have to do equal time for a crime

October 16, 2008 at 2:37 pm
(4) Holly says:

I cant even breath when i think of such a horrific action. There is pure mental illness invoilved in taking a life..and not just any life..you own childs. I get sick thinking about it.

October 21, 2008 at 11:00 pm
(5) blackandlucioous says:

thats why when we see signs of someone with a mental or someone having depression problems you have to help i feel very bad that this had to happen to these children but the mother was ill and the people around her did very little to help her she should not in any circumstance have been with her children alone its a very sad story

November 28, 2009 at 12:58 am
(6) Diana says:

This goes to Jeff…Women who killed their children fall in various categories. It seems that while not all women who kill their children suffer from postpartum psychosis, some do. Men, can’t suffer from this mental illness, since they are biologically, in case you did not know, unable to give birth. Most of the cases that I am familiar with include women suffering from this condition. Postpartum psychosis, although rare, may occur within a year post delivery and has to do with rapid hormonal changes which alter brain chemistry and leads to psychosis (temporarily). So, ALL crimes should be judged on an individual basis. It is ignorant to say because you are a woman, a man, white, Asian or black this or that should happen.

March 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm
(7) ahmad says:

Any crime against achild from aman or women should carry amandatory life in prison without possibility of parole enough of the crab postpartum depression or my mom made me eat meat loaf .

May 22, 2010 at 5:26 pm
(8) mari says:

It hoibbile to even ever cross ur mind of hurtn ur child….it makes me soo sad to hear mothers who kill their children….for some reason god gives these unappreciated mothers the chance to have babies when they don’t deserve and the ones that deserve are unable to concieve…I look at my son who’s 3 n can’t even imagine hurtn him…I love him to death to hurt my own and thank the lord for sending me a wonderful son….rest in peace to all those children who couldn’t live on…

April 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm
(9) B.O.B. says:

I think that JEFF is stupid i am a girl and i think guys and girls are egual. All guys are stupid and personally i would go for the girls instead!!(:

June 11, 2012 at 1:25 am
(10) TOP CAT says:

B.O.B.
Does that mean that you are a flat toper.If thats true you cant say all guys are stupid.Becase i like women to

June 11, 2012 at 1:27 am
(11) B.O.B. says:

Thats true

June 11, 2012 at 1:29 am
(12) Debra says:

TOP CAT
I think i love you.But i want to know for sure