1. News & Issues
Charles Montaldo

Van der Sloot Seeks Reduced Sentence

By March 4, 2013

Convicted killer Joran Van der Sloot has written a letter to a Peruvian court in which he apparently takes responsibility for the death of Stephany Flores and says he hopes some day her family can forgive him. Van der Sloot also said he was continuing his therapy in hopes of becoming "a better human being."

In the letter, he also seeks a reduced sentence.

Van der Sloot was sentenced to 28 years in prison for the May 30, 2010 murder of Flores in his Lima hotel room. He has been incarcerated since his arrest in June 2010.

In a letter to the appeals court in Peru, Van der Sloot said he regretted his actions. The letter was published on Peru.com and translated here by Google Translate.

Letter to the Court

"I regret what I have done. Every day of my life I have to live with it, I do not even understand myself, how it could have happened the way it happened. I think what made me kill Stephany was definitely extenuating circumstances, but that will never excuse my actions," he wrote.

"I want to still be able to do something with my life, have a family and a job or even a career. If I spend the next 25 years behind bars I can forget those dreams. I felt remorse since the day I killed Stephany, as if something had died in me too," Van der Sloot wrote.

"I sincerely hope that one day her family and loved ones can forgive me for what I did, but understand if you do not. Continue my social and psychological therapy here for as long as necessary to rejoin society and become a better human being," he added.

Wants Sentenced Reduced

Also in the letter, Van der Sloot asked the appeals court to examine the evidence and reduce his sentence.

Originally, the police charged Van der Sloot with aggravated robbery resulting in death, which would have given him a life sentence. Prosecutors reduced that to simple theft and homicide, and asked for a 30-year sentence.

The court decided on a 28-year sentence, but with credit for time served it was estimated Van der Sloot could be paroled in 14 years.

If he is ever released from Peruvian prison, he will face extradition to the United States to face extortion charges connected to the Natalee Holloway case.

See Also:
Joran Van der Sloot: Lamento lo que hice y buscaré ser un mejor ser humano

Background:
The Crimes of Joran Van der Sloot
The Murder Confession of Joran Van der Sloot

More Information:
Natalee Holloway: Missing in Aruba

Forum:
Discuss The Van der Sloot Case

Free Newsletter:
Get the Crime & Punishment Newsletter

Photo: Mug Shot

Comments

March 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm
(1) v says:

“One day I hope his family and loved ones can forgive me”
Yep, he is so messed up, he thinks he killed a guy

March 6, 2013 at 5:15 am
(2) deborah sletten says:

Is it a typo or respect for her lesbian orientation?

March 6, 2013 at 5:45 pm
(3) mathew says:

Rot Van der Sloot

March 17, 2013 at 5:00 pm
(4) Monica Firth says:

I don’t think Joran Van der Sloot should ever be a free person again. I believe he killed Natalee Holloway and got away with it; and we know he killed Stephany Flores. The thought that he might be free oneday and be alone with a women again is truly frightening.

March 21, 2013 at 3:00 am
(5) mrman says:

“”I want to still be able to do something with my life, have a family and a job or even a career”

Why should he get to have this? Flores won’t ever have those things.
Van Der Sloot, you don’t get it do you? Your life should be over. You should rot in jail and die there. No life, no family, no job, no career. Rot, and die.

March 21, 2013 at 4:25 am
(6) lc says:

Didn’t he already try this before, about a year ago?

This letter shows a total disconnect.

March 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(7) Ray says:

Nice try Sloot. R.I.H.

March 25, 2013 at 3:54 am
(8) John Dozier says:

Not only is he a cold blooded killer but a pretty stupid one as well. Family, job and career. Hey crap for brains you still have to face charges in the U.S. Now you’ll be on my turf and we will not be as lenient as Peru. Hey pal wake up and smell the roses! Your life is over! You will be extremely lucky to get out by the time your 90.

March 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm
(9) luis says:

Maybe some one in jail will do society a favor before his term is over.

April 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm
(10) disappointed says:

All of you wishing death on Joran van der Sloot are no better than him. I am sick to death of hearing about Natalee H. May she RIP. Her mother has become obsessed with Joran why keep offering him money in exchange for the location of Natalees remains. Beth knows Joran is manipulative and has lied many many times. If she wouldn’t have offered up the cash, Joran wouldn’t have been able to jet off to Peru. Just my opinion but I’m tired of hearing about the Hollowaysas a whole.

April 3, 2013 at 10:45 am
(11) Robb says:

Disappointed, you really don’t get it. I’m sure Beth Holloway couldn’t care less whether you or anyone else is tired of her trying to find out what happened to her only daughter. And for you to lay the blame on her for Stephanie’s death is so ridiculous I can’t help but wonder if you might not be Joran posting from prison. This punk is a psychotic killer and a pathological liar. To wish death on Joran Van Der Sloot is on par with wishing death on a rattle snake crawling in a park where children play. I don’t know which I’d prefer… for him to die of AIDS, or get shanked in the heart after getting gang raped. (I have to admit, I’m leaning towards shanked after gang rape).

April 13, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(12) Gary says:

So sad what a shame

April 13, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(13) Gary says:

So sad what a shame. Beth G-D bless u

April 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(14) Gary says:

Beth your amazing !!!!

April 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(15) Gary says:

Beth your amazing !!!!u

April 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(16) Gab says:

Beth if your reading this please let me know if you ever visit New York. I’d love to speak with you as I follow your story all the time and constantly hope that one day Joran will speak up. I’m searching online for periodic updates and I’m obsessed with the story. I’ve seen all the movies and vanished as well. Hope one day you will see your daughter and finally know the story behind it. Beth your a hero!!!!

April 20, 2013 at 12:55 pm
(17) Jaymie says:

Remorse? He didn’t show any remorse when he took Stephany’s money and just left her there dead. Please Peru keep him behind bars for the rest of his life.

April 20, 2013 at 5:47 pm
(18) sissy says:

This weasel is a Sociopath his ‘hopes and dreams’ died when his stupid father did…they should have made him face responsibility for Natalie instead of using their powers to get him off…stupid stupid..evil weasel he is..he should rot in hell…

April 24, 2013 at 3:47 pm
(19) Deb says:

I don’t think Joran knows where Nat H. body is. Remember someone took her body out to sea and disposed of it. To which I believe it was his own father or close friend/relative. Joran doesn’t know the exact spot where she was placed. But, he does know what happened to her and should finally come to terms and tell the truth about Natalee H. He owes her parents that much.

God bless you Beth and family.

April 26, 2013 at 2:50 am
(20) bmhay1 says:

Joran….You do not know what “Responsibility” is! LOL…Yes, You ask for a reduced sentence along with forgiveness as you say you take this “Responsibility.” You are so full of BS still! You don’t regret your actions, you regret you were caught! Yes, you will live with your actions of killing both Stephany and Natalie the rest of your life, not that you think of it. Yes, you blew your dreams when you were just a kid Joran. Not only your dreams, but the dreams of many others, as well. I could NEVER forgive or forget what you did. Since you, we’ve had a few more like you join the ranks of you. We will soon have to dedicate an Island to socio/psychopaths and put all of you on it to live out your lives. Joran, you are NOT even “human” and you think you can be a better human with classes, think again man. God forbid, I hope you are never paroled, but we here in the USA do await you arrival with smiles on our faces!

May 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm
(21) Bo says:

Give the man a break!!!!!

May 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(22) jeff says:

Really? Maybe a break in his neck!!

May 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(23) Sis says:

“NOT TO BE RELEASED” should be stamped on his File!!
Sociopathic liar since his daddy has died he doesn’t have the legal backup he once had….

May 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(24) ted409 says:

i hope this guy never sees the outside unless its while hes being transported to the us to be tried for extortion

May 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm
(25) dudespeaks says:

This murderous demon was ensnared red-handed – bravo Peru!

May the soul(s) departed by this handsome beast find peace and
love within God’s warm embrace.

May 20, 2013 at 10:56 am
(26) Rocky says:

He is just like OJ,, Arias,,and the list is to long to put up here… He has killed many more than people know… Let him be free and he will kill again…

June 9, 2013 at 4:56 am
(27) trix says:

free joran!!! free joran!!

June 28, 2013 at 3:17 pm
(28) MNIN says:

no no no Trix… you misspelled two words. here, let me fix it for you..

fry joran!!! fry joran!!

June 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm
(29) MNIN says:

notice the points Joran is making in his letter
(1) I feel bad
(2) please let me out
(3) I understand if you don’t want to :( because you think I need more therapy

and (1) and (3) are just his pathetic attempts to manipulate to get what he really wants. And that is (2).. OUT

*****
Deborah Sletten, you’ve been defending Joran forever claiming that he murdered Stephany because she was a lesbian. Or that had something to do with it

BUT.. you probably should know that Joran did say he and his friends had homosexual relations.

January 4, 2014 at 4:50 pm
(30) carmen diaz says:

la mama de natalie fue hasta al peru a pedirle clemencia por su hija que en donde la tenia y ese desgraciado no le dijo nada no creo en su arrepentimiento es un psicopata ellos no se rejeneran nunca si de verdad dice el estar arrepentido por que no dice la verdad sobre natalie lo que paso en aruba y asi limpia un poco su conciencia