Calabrese suffered from a variety of health problems, including an enlarged heart, but no cause of death was announced.
Calabrese was one of five members of the "Chicago Outfit" who was convicted in September 2007 in the Family Secrets trial, Chicago's sensational organized crime trial that helped to weaken the mob. All defendants were convicted of racketeering, not murder.
At Least 13 Victims
However, the jury ruled that Calabrese was responsible for 13 of the murders, dating back to the 1970s. These are the murders for which Calabrese was responsible, the jury said:
- Michael 'Hambone' Albergo, August 1970
- Paul Haggerty, June 24, 1976
- Henry Consentino, March 1977
- John Mendell, Jan. 16, 1978
- Vincent Moretti and Donald Renno, January 1978
- William and Charlotte Dauber, July 1980
- William 'Butch' Petrocelli, December 1980
- Michael Cagnoni, June 1981
- Richard Ortiz, July 1983
- John "Big John' Fecarotta, September, 1986
"I believe he was taken on Christmas Day for a reason," Frank Jr. told reporters. "I hope he made peace. I hope he's up above looking down on us. ... He's not suffering anymore. The people on the street aren't suffering anymore."
Photo: Mug Shot