1. News & Issues
Charles Montaldo

Casey Anthony Tries to Block Trial Cameras

By April 18, 2011

Lawyers for the Orlando woman accused of killing her 2-year-old child and not reporting her missing for more than a month, tried to get cameras banned from the courtroom during her up-coming trial. Casey Anthony's attorneys filed the motion in her first-degree murder case last week.

Anthony is charged with the murder of Caylee Anthony as well as aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter of a child and misleading law enforcement.

Although Judge Belvin Perry told defense attorneys that he would consider their motion, he gave them little hope that he would rule in their favor.

Series of Defense Motions

"We don't live in Egypt. We don't live in Libya," Perry told attorney Jose Baez. "There's a thing called the First Amendment. Whether we like it or not, it's in the Constitution."

The Florida Supreme Court ruled in 1979 that cameras should be allowed in state courtrooms.

The attorneys were in court last week for a series of hearings on defense motions to exclude some evidence from Anthony's trial.

Trying to Block Evidence

Some of the evidence the defense is fighting to keep away from the jury includes:

• That cadaver dogs alerted to Casey's car trunk and back yard.
  • A stain found in the trunk of the car.
  • Caylee's hair found in the trunk.
  • The amount of chloroform scientists found in the trunk.
  • The heart sticker found on duct tape with Caylee's remains.

The defense also does not want the jury to hear a scientist's opinion that the plants growing through Caylee's remain indicate that her body had been there since she was last seen with her mother in June 2008. The remains were not found until December 2008.

Location of Trial Unknown

Judge Perry did not rule on any of the defense motions. He is expected to issue a ruling in two weeks.

The trial is scheduled to begin next month, but the actual location has not been revealed and won't be until the morning that jury selection begins. Judge Perry told attorneys that one person from the defense and the prosecution will be told ahead of time so that they can make necessary arrangements.

Jurors are expected to be brought in from outside the Orlando area to hear the case.

See Also:
No Rulings Made In Casey Anthony Hearing
Florida Judge Rebuffs Bid to Bar Cameras at Casey Anthony's Trial

Background:
The Caylee Marie Anthony Case
Timeline of Early Events
9-1-1 Call Transcripts

Forum:
Discuss The Caylee Anthony Case

Photo: Police Mug Shot

Comments

April 18, 2011 at 9:00 am
(1) annonymous says:

This is a prime example of how the media misconstrues things. The defense team did not ask that camera’s be banned from the trial, only from jury selection, and I am not only reading this here, I am reading this a lot of places, the defense is taking a lot of slack for this. Also when it comes to the evidence they are saying the defence is trying to block, it has not been scientifically proven that was in fact caylees hair (hence part of the reason the defence is trying to block it), and the heart sticker is a phantom sticker – there was never a heart sticker there just an outline that one person observed and wasn’t even able to get a photograph of. The media needs to clear these things up. If you are going to report something report it right.

April 18, 2011 at 10:10 am
(2) A. Nonny Mouse says:

Honey, you sound exactly like Cindypoo. In the event you are, I’ll give you a few facts. Allow me to set a few things straight. First I believe you don’t mean that the defence is taking a lot of “Slack,” you mean, “Flack.” “Frushtrating,” isn’t it? Also, the matter about the hair being identified? It has been identified as coming from a dead person. It has been identified as coming from either Casey or Caylee. Casey is still alive. Caylee is not. HENCE it is Caylee’s hair. Several people saw the sticker and likely there is a photo of it. Surprise!!!!! Strike out there, too, Orlando East. So much of what you claim is incorrect. You need to clear things up in your own mind. If not publically, at least for yourself and your own peace of mind. Casey brutally murdered Caylee, placed her decomposing body in garbage bags and threw her in a swamp, where her remains were found a few months later. (REMAINS, get it George?) You should know that. After all, you are a “Nurse of decomposition.” It is no puzzle where Casey learned to lie. But it didn’t work this time, did it?
And I mean this in the nicest possible way.

April 18, 2011 at 11:15 am
(3) carol says:

i agree with you casey is nothing but a liar i believe she killed her daughter and i believe her mother helped cover it up after the fact. i have followed this case since day one i cried when they foend poor caylees remains i have children and i cant even imagine what would drive someone to harm thier own child or any child for that matter. i know people have rights but i think too much time and money has been wasted on this case it is obvious what has occured.

April 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm
(4) Linda says:

First let me say, if you have something to comment on, you need to know how to spell it!
I do believe Casey was the reason for her daughter’s demise. I think she had been drugging young Caylee to be able to go out with her friends and party. Possibly many times while Casey was in the club, her daughter lay in the car from chemically induced sleep. Residue of chloroform was found in Casey’s vehicle. Maybe at one point it went to far, and when Casey returned to the car, Caylee was dead? She then hid her child’s lifeless body in the trunk of her car for a while. This in no shape or form rationalizes or exonerates Casey from her actions. She is still responsible for the death of an innocent 2 year old child….

April 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm
(5) annymous says:

Wow, Nonny mouse you are as mis-informed as the media! First of all, the hair you are speaking of was never proven to have come from a dead person, as the decomp on it can occure after falling out of a live persons head, and 2nd, the fbi destroyed all evidence of the heart shape on the duct tape during finger print analysis before ever taking a photograph of it here read for yourself http://justice4caylee.forumotion.net/t3425-fbi-destroyed-heart-shape-sticker-residue-evidence, and it has been testified to in pre trial that one technitial is known to have seen it, maybe a possible 2nd unknown lab person. And no I am NOT cindy, or anyway that is anyway related to, or even knows the anthony family. I am just someone who believes that everyone deserves a fair trial, that is not misconstrued by media, and obviously people like you who have no idea what you are talking about, and only believe what you read by false reports!

April 19, 2011 at 2:59 am
(6) celia says:

Come on Cindy! Do you think you can convince us that your p.o.s. daughter had nothing to do with this? We are not all blind deaf and mute. Just because you and your dysfunctional family are denying justice for little Caylee, it doesn’t mean that we, the people from all over the planet will not fight for this innocent child. You are all as guilty as each other. It beggars belief that any of you can look in the mirror let alone sleep at night. The whole lot of you are sociopaths with narcissistic tendencies. Every last one of you need be looked up for life for this terrible crime and your denial of what Caylee suffered through.

April 19, 2011 at 3:28 am
(7) caseyisguilty says:

I don’t know of one person who has followed this case from day one that can really believe that Casey is not guilty! As for the heart sticker, don’t forget that heart stickers exactly like the one on the tape were found in Casey’s bedroom.

I am so angry at casey that I dont really want to say what Im about to say next. I think it was an accident. I think Casey chloroformed her to put her to sleep so she could party and when she came out of the club or wherever she couldnt revive Caylee. I believe that is why you have all the frantic calls right at first and the shovel being borrowed, etc.

I think Casey should get the death penalty. That’s what I really want but…if I were on the jury I would have to vote for life in prison because I doubt that she meant to kill her baby. I am just so glad I am NOT on the jury. It all makes me so angry at Casey. My own granddaughter is now the age Caylee was when Casey killed her. I think of it a lot when I look at my sweet granddaughter. It’s just all so sad!

April 19, 2011 at 9:26 am
(8) annymouse says:

@caseyisguilty – how do you know that the heart stickers found in casey’s bedroom were the same as the supposed phantom heart that was found on the tape? It has been stated that because it was destroyed it can never be compared to the stickers that were found. Only one tech saw it, maybe possibly two. And memory fades fast especially in the 3 yrs this case has been going on. There were no measurements taken, no pictures, no nothing. Why this was ever allowed in to evidence is beyond me. And I agree with you on most of your aspects, I do think that if she killed her it was an accident, though I don’t think chloroform was involved, as there are many more ways to drug someone that are easier, and more available. But an accident would still not be a 1st degree murder charge, or a death penalty case.

April 20, 2011 at 4:15 pm
(9) TEXIZZ says:

I would like to be the first to say that I don’t know WHAT to believe when it comes to the news media. Rumors, lies, misinterpretations all thrown at us just to get a headline. There ought to be a law against free speech. Please, please, please, if you can’t prove it, don’t print it!!!

April 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm
(10) peggy lou hicks says:

she should have life in prison. how can you kill your own child maybe they should put them on death row and it might make mothers think

April 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm
(11) JEANNETTE says:

WHO IN GODS NAME, PUTS A CHILD IN THE TRUNK OF A CAR, SO MOMMY DEAREST CAN PARTY..I WAS A MOTHER AT 19 AND TAT WAS MY RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!!!!!!! CASEY IS A MANIPULATIVE AND NARCISISTIC B….H. HOW SAD THAT CAYLEE ENDED UP WITH THAT MOTHER AND I USE THE TERM VERY LOOSELY!!!!!!!!!!!

April 26, 2011 at 12:41 am
(12) Margene says:

Why would she ask to use a shovel from people who hated her already because her dog pooped in their yard? Ask to use a shovel from the first people to rat you out. Then ride around long enough for the corpse to rot. Yeah, don’t even use the shovel. And make sure you leave the body close to home. By the way, grab one of the heart stickers from the bedroom and the tape from the garage so they’ll know its you. Just to be sure you go to the death chamber look up “chloroform” on the computer. Not at the library! If she isn’t being framed she is either mentally ill or mentally challenged!

April 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(13) Derp says:

Could’ve sworn we lived in America with that whole, you know, innocent until proven guilty thing. But screw logic when you can just let the media throw you into a blind emotional rage ’cause there’s a dead child involved.

May 2, 2011 at 1:52 am
(14) Hmmm says:

She is guilty. Plain and simple. If she did not know where her child was she would have contacted the proper athorities, not led them through a wacky “carnival ride”.

May 7, 2011 at 2:18 pm
(15) kim says:

Oh Yes! I believe she is guilty as sin. I also believe her parents are guilty as well!! Not for the death of their granddaughter but for their sad, sad lack of admission (to themselves) that Casey is and had been so very mentally ill for years. I’m certain they’ve covered up lots of incidents by their daughter over those years and it seems they are simply doing it again. But imagine if what we’ve been hearing is true: that the Defense will point their fingers to George Anthony for the death of his own granddaughter. Sickening and frightening….

May 17, 2011 at 10:33 pm
(16) bob says:

heavy heart….i am a proud daddy of a now 20 year old daughter..i can not even imagine taking her life for pleasure outside my life with her. I am proud to say we are close but not so for her high school years. it was the toughest time in my life…but worth it and would not have it any other way. I am an ex-police officer and i think casey deserves a fair trail and that has to be protected for the whole…if we convict her before all the evidence is presented…we are no better than the day the british tried to take us back when our country was formed…i do believe she is guilty but lets let the jury decide this…i do believe that justice will be served and the caley will be able to rest in peace….