1. News & Issues
Charles Montaldo

Weekly Crime Poll: Woman Gets 30 Years for Having Sex With Teen

By September 27, 2008

Denise Harvery of Vero Beach, Florida, received a 30-year sentence after being found guilty of having sex with her son's 16-year-old friend. The victim testified that he and Harvery had sex five times. In cooperation with the police, he agreed to wear a wire to record a meeting with Harvery. During that meeting Harvery made reference to their relationship.

According to a court transcript, Harvery said, "You don't have to worry about me. Cause I'm, I'm denying everything. I have to. I can't...I mean I can get into huge trouble."

Harvery was offered a plea deal where she would spend 11 years in state prison, but she refused. In August, a jury found her guilty and the judge sentenced her to 30 years.

Do you think the 30 year sentence is appropriate?

See Also:
Gallery - Women Arrested for Indecent Behavior With Kids
Crime and Punishment Weekly Polls

Comments

September 27, 2008 at 9:23 pm
(1) Jccamp says:

Harvey was convicted by a jury of 5 counts of sexual battery. Given the age differential at the time of the crimes, the presiding judge had no option re: sentencing. 30 years was the minimum he could have sentenced Harvey.

I believe the victim was 14 at the time of the crimes.

September 29, 2008 at 12:53 am
(2) L119 says:

Thats Bull. S_ _ _ . to lock that lady up for 30 years at the tax payers cost for having sex with a 16 year old big deal. That kid has had sex before and if not he should of learned how to please a woman. I dont think she took a knife or a gun and raped the kid . hell enjoyed ever bit of it. For a 16 year old thats the ultamate conquest whats the problem.

September 29, 2008 at 4:33 pm
(3) loonytoon says:

It’s about time that a woman child predator received the same sentence that a man would have received for doing the same thing…

October 1, 2008 at 12:18 pm
(4) tracy says:

That is just crazy people that murder get less then that, The kid she had sex with she didnt rape him he was willing totally insane locking her up for 30 years. I hope she appeals the sentence as she deserves to be out not in jail with all the real crimnals.

October 1, 2008 at 7:27 pm
(5) deelee48 says:

Yes, I agree with the 30 year sentence. She was an adult and whether the 16 year old enjoyed it or not, she was the adult and should have been intelligent and adult enough to say no!
Any 16 year old will take what is thrown at them when it comes sex. But, she is someone that people trust their children to everyday. Someone who is suppose to set an example for youngsters and teens alike. I would not want her in my kids school district.

October 1, 2008 at 7:40 pm
(6) jwill says:

living in a country where murders and terrorist along with illegal immigrants can get off by claiming my “civil rights” were violated can get off so easy and 30 years because of a little sex with this boy. it was wrong for him to molest his teacher but she made him do it over until he got it right. by the way they teach sex safty in our middle school with illustrations on how to use a condom. this sentence is a real joke.

October 2, 2008 at 2:55 pm
(7) Ruben says:

The judge should be placed in jail for 30 years! That 16 Years old boy knew exactly what he was doing and now he is a free “satisfied bird” while his parter at crime suffers in jail due to the ignorance (yes, ignorance) of a “prude judge” who’s not up-to-date with today’s teenagers trends and their lifestyles. I can see a rapist, a murderer, or even a thieve doing that kind of time, but not a woman whom, consensually (a 16 years old kid can serve in the armed forces of this country) had sex with a mature minded boy. If the woman was put in jail for consensually having sex with a 16 years old boy, he should be serving time too; better yet, neither one should be in jail at all, for it was consensually! Only in America….

October 6, 2008 at 7:15 am
(8) ethic says:

Seriously, people. If this was a 30 year old man with a 16 year old girl, not one person would be defending him. They’d be wanting life in prison or death penalty. What a double standard! Make up your minds, people!

October 7, 2008 at 6:49 am
(9) jackie says:

i think there is a big difference between a man child molester and a women who had sex with a willing 16 yr. old. of course this sentence is way over the top. you can’t rape the willing.

October 10, 2008 at 12:58 pm
(10) OLUMIDE says:

What do you call this “RAPE”, NO for god sake they agreed tom have sex and they could get married, yes of course. The woman, ‘am sure could be a widow or no husband at present. lets consider some response to body requests for the divorces and widows around, they do need some help.

February 9, 2009 at 4:05 pm
(11) John says:

I agree with Jackie. If the shoe was on the other foot, i.e., if it had been an adult man who had sex with a 16 year old girl, everyone would be yelling “lynch him.”

November 12, 2013 at 4:41 pm
(12) Jack says:

I thought 16 was the age of consent.