Authorities said two men broke into the Petit home early Monday morning, held the family hostage for hours, took one of the female hostages to the bank to withdraw money, set the house on fire to cover their tracks, and literally ran into the police as they tried to escape in the family's car.
Bank employees became suspicious when Jennifer Hawke-Petit showed up at the Bank of American branch with one of the kidnappers to make a withdrawal and notified police. As the police approached the home, iT was in flames and two men rammed several police cars before being captured at gunpoint.
Career Criminals Arrested
Arrested were two recent parolees with criminal records, Joshua Komisarjevsky (pictured), 26, and Steven Hayes, 44. Police said both previously lived in the same halfway house after being paroled from prison.
Komisarjevsky is charged with one count of first-degree assault, first-degree aggravated sexual assault, first-degree burglary, first-degree arson, conspiracy to commit arson in the first-degree, first-degree robbery and risk of injury to a minor, plus two counts of first-degree larceny and four counts of first-degree kidnapping.
Hayes is charged with one count of first-degree aggravated sexual assault, first-degree burglary, first-degree arson, conspiracy to commit arson in the first-degree, first-degree robbery and risk of injury to a minor, plus two counts of first-degree larceny and four counts of first-degree kidnapping.
A Brutal Crime Scene
According to The Hartford Courant, these events took place inside the home:
- Dr. Petit confronted the burglars and was beaten with a baseball bat and tied up in the basement of the home.
- Around 9:20 a.m. Hawke-Petit was taken to the bank and was able to alert a teller about the hostage situation because the suspect who went with her waited outside.
- Hawke-Petit withdrew $15,000 from the bank. Police believe that she may have been killed on the first floor of the home as soon as she returned from the bank.
- Both daughters were tied to their beds in their upstairs bedrooms. At least one of them was raped.
- The burglars poured gasoline in the second floor bedrooms of the two girls and lit the rooms on fire.
- The charred body of the oldest daughter Hayley was found at the top of the main stairs.
- The youngest daughter Michaela was found tied to her bed. Her body was too badly burned to determine how she died, police said.