1. News & Issues
Four days into jury selection for his trial for the murder of his wife, Georgia dentist Barton Corbin suddenly decided to plead guilty to the murder of his wife Jennifer Corbin in 2004 and the murder of his former girlfriend Dorothy "Dolly" Hearn in 1990. He was sentenced to two life sentences, to be served concurrently.

Jennifer Corbin was found in her home dead from a single gunshot wound to the head. A handgun was found close to her body. In 1990, Dr. Corbin's dental school girlfriend as found dead from a single gunshot wound and a handgun in her lap.

Hearn's 1990 death was ruled a suicide, but after the death of Jennifer Corbin under similar circumstances, the case was reopened and Corbin was indicted for her murder two weeks later.

Prosecutors said Corbin decided to change his plea to guilty after investigators were able to link the gun used to kill Jennifer Corbin to a close friend of his. Richard Wilson told investigators that he gave the gun to Corbin a few days before Jennifer's death.

"The placement of the weapon in Barton Corbin's hands was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back," Corbin's attorney Bruce Harvey told reporters.

Under his sentence, Corbin, 42, will be eligible for parole.

See Also:
Ga. Dentist Pleads Guilty to 2 Murders

Background:
The Barton Corbin Case

Comments

September 16, 2006 at 9:49 am
(1) SS says:

He got off way too easy … he deserves the death penalty or at the very least NO PAROLE at all.

October 22, 2006 at 12:24 am
(2) pl says:

The DA and Judge in this case, just sent a message to murderers in Georgia that they can murder innocent people, with no risk to their own life. Two dead women, children left without their mother, and the murderer can be get out on parole. We should turn murder cases over to the Feds, the DA didn’t allow these victims justice.

February 4, 2007 at 1:18 am
(3) d says:

scumbag, rot in hell

June 17, 2007 at 8:29 pm
(4) TRUTH says:

RIGHT! That SCUMBAG… PREDATOR… MUST NOT have ANY possibility for parole. That judge and prosecutor were too generous to that parana! However, the criminials in prison will make him wish he were NEVER in jail. One month in there will be HELL for that over zealous pig’s vomit! He will NEVER get out of prison. Hew will die in that place. May God have mercy on his Soul.

January 3, 2008 at 5:21 pm
(5) sg says:

How could Bart be eligible for parole? What the hell is the matter with courts in Georgia? Bart is a true socio-path who feels no remorse, he will kill again the next time he is spurned by a woman. May he rot to death in prison BEFORE his parole.

April 15, 2008 at 6:39 am
(6) uh yeah says:

Seriously. He needs to stay in jail for the duration. Although I was thinking recently that we could strap him to the top of tall buildings downtown as a look out for tornado and lightning storms.

September 20, 2008 at 5:19 pm
(7) interested says:

I do realize these postings are old but the reason the family agreed to the plea bargin with life sentences was to preserve Jennifer’s reputation and not have some information about her internet affair come out in the trial. There was a great possibility of character assination during the trial and the family did not wish to go through that.

October 14, 2008 at 1:59 pm
(8) em johnson says:

what about the other woman who’s body was found in the river i bet he killed her as well. I believe he was having an affair with her.

December 1, 2008 at 7:46 pm
(9) Heather Tierney says:

I am Jenn’s sister. This Thursday will mark 4 years since her murder. Its hard to believe she is even gone.. let alone 4 years.
I miss her. We all do.
It is truly hard to believe that Bart will even be eligible for parole, but I want to emphasize that I do not believe Bart will ever really get parole.
He will be deferred atleast the first 2 times he becomes eligible because of the nature of the crimes and the fact that there were (atleast) two victims…. we will fight vigorously anything after that.
Thank you for feeling as outraged as we do, but I am also exceptionally pleased with the DA and the judge that handled this case. Had it not been for them (and all the investigators that worked this case) we might very well have had to hand over our two beautiful boys to that monster with no justice at all.
I will never forget you, Jenn. Missing you so much…
Heather

April 20, 2009 at 8:21 pm
(10) Christina says:

I recently read a book about these two awful murders. While I do agree that he got way to easy there is a reason. The wife was going to divorce him and during this time she was having an affair with a person she was talking to online that later turned out to be a woman. The defence attorney was going to make her out to look like a sex pervert ( they were going to use some of their private emails as proof) and her parents did not want to smear her image so they agreed so they told the DA they were willing to accept the plea bargain.

November 8, 2009 at 12:32 am
(11) Christine says:

Heather Tierney,
I’m so terribly sorry for your loss. It’s a blessing your sister’s boys have you in their lives. I’ll keep your family in my prayers. I’m grateful the murderer is behind bars for what will most likely be the rest of his life. Although I believe in the death penalty, he’ll suffer more behind bars. I’m sure the Lord has plans for him in the after-life. I’m curiousódo you have any contact with the children’s paternal grandparents?
Christine

November 10, 2009 at 2:48 am
(12) Haley Cox says:

Im currently reading the book “To Late To Say Goodbye” by: Ann Rule….
really goes in depth… very tragic
my heart goes out especially to the Barber family and also you cant deny the Corbin family a little sympathy…they lost as well. naturally not nearly a big a loss as the Barber’s but both families are in my thoughts and prayers.
May Dalton and Dillon grow to be successful in every way possible! <3

April 28, 2011 at 9:29 pm
(13) Rhonda says:

That scum bag should never make it out of prison, after he destroyed those two women’s lives, not to mention leaving two children without a mother, I hope he rots in prison..

January 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm
(14) ritalin says:

Hello, do you agree with the fact that Messi is the best player was found?

February 23, 2012 at 4:18 am
(15) TINA says:

To the sister,
My heart goes out to you. I have five sisters and I would never want to think of something so horrible happening to them. I watched the movie on lifetime last night, this also pains me for the children. I also live in Georgia …. I commend you on your bravery, your constant love and being deligent to get the truth. My prayers for you, the boys, and the rest of the family are that the good lord keeps y’all forever in his care and gives you peace. I know that hard of a loss is never gotten over…its an everyday struggle just to cope. Much love to you all.

September 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm
(16) The Other Side says:

The parents agreed to the plea bargain. They obviously did not want him to get the death penalty.

September 6, 2012 at 9:27 pm
(17) Unpopular Opinion says:

These women did not deserve what he did to them, it is dispicable….but was it a crime of passion? What is his side? Does anyone know? Rot in hell, nope….unfortunately prisons are not as bad as you would think. Sad but true.

September 6, 2012 at 9:31 pm
(18) Christian says:

Lets not forget that God forgives those who ask for forgiveness. While he is serving his sentence, hopefully someone will witness to him and he will turn his life over to God.

March 15, 2013 at 12:46 am
(19) Robert says:

Anyone who does what he did does not deserve parole. he should never get out. i doubt he will.

April 10, 2013 at 11:58 am
(20) Diamantino says:

I hope you goumto hell

October 27, 2013 at 1:07 pm
(21) dragonPoulet says:

Hello !
I just watch the movie about this story, very very sad. One of you think that God can forgive him if he ask it ! But this guy have no heart, no love, nothing at all in him and God knows that. He will go in hell ! You can be sure of that. Because if the human laws sometime fall, the law of God does not !
I wish you and all the families (victims families and criminal families as well) my best hope for the heal of your terribly wounds.
(I’m French by the way so my English is not good as yours :o )
All my best and the love of God for you all :o )
You friend, sister are in paradise ! They are happy and free now.
Muriel from France.