1. News & Issues
An Indiana woman who was 15 years old when she and three others were convicted for the brutal murder of a 12-year-old girl, one of the most grisly murders of 1992, will be released from prison this week, after serving 14 years of a 40-year sentence.

Hope A. Rippey, 29, was sentenced to 40 years for felony murder and 20 years for criminal confinement for the murder of Shanda Sharer. Also convicted in the case were three other teenagers, Toni Lawrence, Lori Tackett and Melinda Loveless. Lawrence was released from prison in 2000.

The four teens lured Sharer into their vehicle on Jan. 11, 1992. Loveless, then 16, was jealous of the 12-year-old because she was involved in a lesbian love triangle with another girl, according to court records. Sharer was beaten and sodomized with a tire iron and her legs were cut with a knife.

The four teens drove around with Sharer in the trunk of their car and then burned her alive near a rural road about 40 miles north of Louisville, Kentucky in Indiana.

Rippey's sentence was reduced because Indiana allows inmates to earn one day credit for each day served for good behavior. Her sentence was further reduced when she obtained an associate degree and a bachelor's degree while in prison.

Lawrence served only nine years of her sentence. It was Lawrence who reported the crime to authorities and the first to work out a plea bargain.

See Also:
Teen Who Took Part in 12-Year-Old's Grisly Slaying to Be Free
Death of Innocence: The Murder of Young Shandra Sharer

More Information:
Juvenile Crime and Issues

More Crime News:
Top Stories
Current Investigations and Trials
Daily Crime Headlines

Comments

May 5, 2006 at 6:46 pm
(1) pam says:

All 4 of these girls deserve life in prison without the possibility of parole, irregardless of good behavior, because of the brutality inflicted on Shandra Sharer. What was the parole board thinking?

January 20, 2011 at 11:43 am
(2) p says:

this is so mean! YOU are a thing!

May 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm
(3) d says:

actually no pam’s 100% correct. except they deserve to be tortured daily in prison. if only the law of do unto others could be used in this case. i’d volunteer.

December 16, 2007 at 12:49 pm
(4) Teacher in Florida says:

I hope she is living a horrible life, seeking for death, and never being able to receive it. Your life is your hell. YOU are a thing!

November 19, 2008 at 4:17 pm
(5) Miranda says:

Well said, teacher in Florida. She should just kill herself.

November 26, 2008 at 8:45 pm
(6) Hey Jude says:

can you ever be a good person, when you took part in something so bad, so evil?

November 27, 2008 at 9:58 am
(7) chris says:

hope you get pick ed up by crazies and are tortured they you tortued shandra you piece of no goodf excrement.

January 30, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(8) Lily says:

It’s difficult to swallow the fact that a cold-hearted sociopath like this was released from prison. But sadly, not difficult to believe. After all, child molesters are released from prison every day, in spite of the fact that almost every child molester goes back to their same M.O. every time.

September 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm
(9) andrew says:

Disgusting whore should be killed!!! These3 girls should all be destroyed!!!

December 5, 2009 at 4:11 pm
(10) Helena says:

I can’t believe this sick thing is out of prison!!!
I saw this horrible murder a few years ago and I thought these monsters passed their miserable lives in prison.
What kind of law is that? I don’t even want to think Shandra’s tragic family….

November 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm
(11) sarrah says:

This is a sad disturbing case. Although l partialy agree with the anger others feel towards these murderers,but we are NOT GOD!You peaple shock me!Evil Everywhere! Let God sort it out animals!

January 6, 2010 at 12:32 am
(12) scotonfire says:

kill a child.get an education worth $60.000,get out soon enough to enjoy your prime years.Sounds more like a reward than punishment.
What more can this country do to pervert justice?

January 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm
(13) Brandi says:

I went to school with Lori, Toni, and Hope…we were in the same grade and Toni and Hope and a few others ran around with us. This is not how we expected them to turn out. Once Toni and Hope started running around with Lori, my bff in H.S. and I stopped hanging out with them. Lori as once a very religious person. This was a horrible tragedy in our community and I will never forget the night it happened! Toni and Hope could have gotten away and told on Lori and Melinda, but they chose not to therefore an innocent child was horribly murdered. I see Toni all of the time and she has even asked me why I dont look at her, and I just tell her that I cannot look into the eyes of a killer. She has tried to tell me that she did not do the actual killing and I said no but oyu could have stopped it and we hve not spoken since. She is on facebook and is friends with several of my friends and I will NOT accept her friends request. So disgusting what they did and I amsorry but I cannot forgive someone for taking someone elses life!!

August 16, 2011 at 1:39 am
(14) dea says:

Brandi, kudos to you ladybug, just remember A Leopard never changes it’s stripes. Your disassoication maybe an excuse for a flashback,and in that case i’d have to say NRA, One Shot One Kill, the system should have done it first.

February 8, 2010 at 10:27 pm
(15) Judy says:

serving 14 years for such a horrible crime is NOT what I call justice. Anyone who commits such a crime should receive life in prision! And to me life in prision is until the day you die,period! She now has her whole life ahead of her free, what does her victim have?
Our justice system stinks!

March 3, 2010 at 10:26 am
(16) MICHELLE DUNNING says:

I WAS IN PRISON WITH TONI AND SHE WAS A GREAT FRIEND TO ME. MAYBE YOU PEOPLE SHOULD FIND JESUS AND HE SAYS WE NEED TO FORGIVE. TONI IS VERY SORRY ABOUT HER PART IN NOT GOING TO SEEK HELP RIGHT AWAY. SHE ALSO WAS A MODEL PRISONER SHE WORKED HARD ON HER SCHOOLING AND DESERVES HER DEGREE. IF YOU THINK WE SHOULD NOT NEED TO HAVE THAT IN PRISONS YOU SHOULD TALK TO THEM ABOUT THAT AND NOT TAKE THAT OUT ON TONI. HELLO TONI I LOVE AND MISS YOU. YOU WERE A JOY TO MY LIFE AND I FORGIVE YOU ALWAYS. I PRAY FOR ALL IN PRISON .

May 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm
(17) Rose Krystofolski says:

I agree. Toni is NOT a killer, but Melinda, Laurie and Hope definately ARE. Melinda plotted the whole thing and poured the gas the 2nd time, Laurie was willing to murder a complete stranger and struck the match and Hope went along with everything and poured the gas the first time. I feel bad for Toni and thought that in exchange for her testimony she should have gotten probation because by all accounts she did nothing to help the other three and was sitting in the car terrified the whole time. Her biggest mistake was not calling 911 while out of sight of the other girls. Hopefully with her ordeal now behind her she can get on with her life and be happy because she is a salvageable human being, unlike the other 3. Good Luck & God Bless Toni :)

August 16, 2011 at 2:20 am
(18) dea says:

Rose, I agree with you my reasons are a bit different,some GARBAGE is SALVAGEABLE. She is not innocent or without blame, this is the reasons why kids are ot of control, their actions or lack there of is minimized and they are not being held accountable, well although she did’nt help the other three as you stated, she damn well DID’NT do anything to help the one suffering, she sat in the car terrified as you put it? Well hello I never read there was a gun involved, she could have ran, hell it may have been a long walk later for help but the woods would have hid her until later. The ole saying is…fear will make you fight or take flight..her ass should have been in the wind!!!! I hope you are not a parent because you talk like the very type who minimizes bad and undiciplined behavior.

May 18, 2011 at 11:29 pm
(19) Brandy says:

If you feel the need to bring up Jesus in this matter then you need to refer to the old testement of the Bible….where GOD says anyone that kills another person should be killed. Forgiveness isn’t even a thought in this situation. All four of these girls should have gotten the death penalty and then forgiveness would be up to our maker. And i’m pretty sure these girls will go to hell once their lives on earth are over…

May 20, 2011 at 6:30 pm
(20) Tracey says:

How surprising…. CONVICTED convicts defending one another! You ultimate piece of garbage! Maybe for the first time in your selfish life ………THINK ABOUT THE VICTIM & THEIR FAMILY!!!!

God Bless Shanda Sharer & her family

May 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm
(21) Connie says:

to be forgiven by God you have to repent. To be forgiven by others you have to ask. She was there she could have stopped it. She should have told someone. She has to confess to her part in this crime. My son is in prison I tell him he did the crime he has to pay for it.

May 24, 2011 at 3:06 am
(22) K says:

Murder and forgive does not go together at all lady! These four sickos are all murderers whether they did the actual killing or just took part in it. I’ll tell you one thing for sure, Jesus and God will never forgive such person who took another life. If we were in another country, these murderers would of been long burning in hell. It’s a harsh thing to say, but what they did to Shanda is beyond any harsh words. I hope they are being haunted by this for the rest of their rotting lives!

August 16, 2011 at 1:28 am
(23) dea says:

I think you’re confused, she did’nt get “help” at all!! The only remorse she has is, let’s see…The three C’s…CAUGHT, CHARGED and CONVICTED. The next time you praise and profess YOUR forgiveness, remember this..that 12yr old little girl WAS NOT YOUR DAUGHTER!!!

August 16, 2011 at 1:53 am
(24) dea says:

Michelle, your institutional mentality is showing, did you forget your wonderful, warm and fuzzy FRIEND robbed Shandra of the opportunity to become a MODEL, productive and DEGREED person,citizen,MOTHER and wife?…oh yeahh I guess you did, that SUCKS BIG TIME, so do YOU.

March 22, 2010 at 9:35 pm
(25) Bob says:

Michelle Dunning you are right! We are all sinners, some have sinned worse in our eyes yes but a sin is a sin. These girls were young and damaged at the time. While that doesnt excuse what they did, it doesnt mean they shouldnt be forgiven either. Judge not lest ye be judged. Melinda’s life was messed up from the time she emerged from the womb. I believe it played a huge factor in this situation. Its sad and tragic what happened to Shanda and my heart goes out to her family. Senseless tragedy that has effected so many lives. people can change

May 21, 2010 at 6:53 am
(26) maciek says:

People can change ok but not under every cicumstances. These circumstances clearly show us that we are dealing with cold blooded murderers, sociopaths. Not only they killed a child, they showed no remourse and even bragged about it. I bet they dont feel anything for that child till this day. They did it for a thrill. Also we have to take into account the brutality of what they did, hell that was more brutal than what nazis did to jews in concentration camps.

Furthermore, this is a slap to the victims family. The feeling of losing a child is just unbarerable, but knowing that the cold blooded killers are walking the same ground and can cross there path one day must be like a nail in the coffin.

These people should never ever under any circumstances be released from prison. It is a failure of the justice system. As a society however, we should not just let that happen. Remember about this, spread the news and if opportunity arises make the lives of these killers as misearable as possible.

June 5, 2010 at 1:28 pm
(27) aishwarya tewary says:

bob i hope you ROT IN HELL

these girls are BEYOND forgiveness

so what if they were damaged and abused as children? HOPE RIPPEY HAD A HAPPY CHILDHOOD

Melinda isnt even SORRY for what she did, she still brags about her act today and is ALWAYS trying for an early release.

forgiveness should ONLY be given to those who seek it. apart from toni, these girls were never sorry for what they did.

i hope you rot in hell for saying these girls should be forgiven

June 10, 2010 at 10:18 am
(28) snowisfun says:

Aishwarya Tewary, while you’re right in that forgiveness should only & with deep consideration be given to those who are sorry for what they did, there’s no need to get personal with Bob & to tell him to rot in hell. Bob has a right to give his view, though we differ with him. This was a hideous crime & the girl should have either spent the rest of her life in prison for 1st Degree Murder or gotten the death penalty. This wasn’t a passion crime.

But this case also goes to show why we must try to find a cure for homosexuality & lesbianism. Hope A. Rippey was a lesbian & lesbian sexual activities are indirectly a reason why she did this.

August 2, 2010 at 1:36 pm
(29) krwescott says:

she needs to die in prison the way Susan Atkins did

August 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm
(30) renee says:

She need to die in prison, just like Susan Atkins

August 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm
(31) judy says:

Well, all I got to say is, sure forgive them, but make them pay for what they did, simple. They don’t deserve to walk free, period. End of dicussion.

May 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm
(32) Karen says:

AMEN!!!!!!

August 4, 2010 at 1:12 pm
(33) Howard says:

She was tortured for 10 hours and burned while still alive. A ‘life’ sentence is not life.You ‘no death penalty’ people out there take heed.Think. Let go of your liberal bleeding hearts.Why does the poor victim get death even slow painful one and the evil wicked criminals get ‘life’and eventually a release. Many murder again and again.I read the stats.
I am glad there is an afterlife that will take care of this injustice. Liberals in this country won’t.

August 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm
(34) Laura says:

i hope tackett, loveless and the rest experience nothing but profound and total suffering for all the days of their mistaken lives. they are a total shame and embarrassment to the human race.

October 3, 2010 at 3:48 pm
(35) scotty lover says:

If someone is really remorseful for what they have done, and forgiveness is asked for, it should be granted. However, forgiveness never absolves a person from the consequences of their actions. The price still must be paid. I have been following this case for a long time, and I am very surprised that Hope and Toni have gained their release after such a short period of time. However, they will never be welcomed in polite society. They will be haunted by the screams of Shanda for the rest of their miserable lives.

October 14, 2010 at 7:20 am
(36) jane says:

Hope poured the gasoline, and she helped lure Shanda out of the house [some say with force] so I don’t understand why she didn’t get a longer sentence since she basically murdered her as Shanda died from the smoke inhalation – not the beating. She should still be in jail.

October 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm
(37) Shannon says:

How the heck can ANY of you say that people SHOULD forgive? Tell me this, if these “things” did this to YOUR child, sister, mother or someone close to you, you can honestly say that you would be able to forgive them? I am a Christian and if anyone did this to my child, I would never be able to forgive them and would want them to rot in hell where they belong.

Just as you say “don’t judge”, don’t judge anyone for thier choice to NOT forgive them. And I can’t stand the ignorance of you who say that these girls had a tough life….there are alot of people who have tough upbringings and the majority don’t murder an innocent girl (not to mention so methodically with torture.)

Karma will come back to these “things” and they will get theirs…

November 7, 2010 at 9:19 am
(38) Leah says:

The only reason why she is sorry is because she got caught I don’t feel sorry for no one but the 1 they killed in a 10 hour torcher style.

December 3, 2010 at 2:20 pm
(39) Spiderlady says:

Laurie is the most evil thing I have ever laid eyes on. I worked with many killers and most had some remorse,, but this manipulative evil will strike again. She managed to have a my space account with nude pictures of herself while in prison and to convince prison leaders that she was a reformed Christian… even touted as such my Ann Ryder int he news… but they will all have blood on their hands when this evil strikes again.

January 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(40) kk says:

I know Lawrence! Shes such a sweet lady and her kids are beautful! she wasnt even a part of this crul murder!

August 16, 2011 at 1:06 am
(41) dea says:

Kk, I got it…what she was home asleep? You say she’s a sweet lady? Well EVIL’s wearing a pretty face, most often they do,think about it if you saw evil you’d run the other way right? I don’t know with you, you’re suspect. Sounds like you are easily manipulated, yo ‘d probaly let the DEVIL in if he looked like Matthew Macoughy and smelled like Burberry. Watch out Miss She’s So Sweet…History has a way of repeating it’s self…children. FYI

January 31, 2011 at 4:40 pm
(42) jh says:

I would like to say I understand being a christian forgiving someone. But I know that if my child were butually murdered this way that God would have to step in because finding forgiveness in my heart wouldn’t be easy.

I just wonder if Toni, “I believe this is the one who has children” ever thinks about someone harming her child?

I Believe the two girls that are supposely sorry “if it is true” deserve a chance with God and his forgiveness. But I believe they should of stayed in prison for the rest of their lives PERIOD!

I don’t even know how they can sleep and I sure don’t know how they feel the priviledge to have any children of their own.

February 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm
(43) lacy johnson says:

i was in prison with melinda loveless and nary tackket and i had to sleep next to that monster melinda she has no remoese for her crime she glorfies it as if shes proud of what she did shes a sick person i hope she never gets out of prison

August 16, 2011 at 12:02 am
(44) dea says:

Lacy I’m wit u on that, smfh, lol. Now let’s pray

August 21, 2011 at 10:42 am
(45) Jessica T says:

People are forgetting that the “Victim” was a lesbian. GOD knows the evil in peoples hearts and this was his judgement upon the darkness he saw in her’s

August 28, 2011 at 3:30 am
(46) Wally says:

Your so right. She was burned in life and now burns in hell for her sins!!!!

September 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(47) Stephanie says:

You’re ignorant. She was a 12 year old child. I had no idea what my sexual orientation was at 12 years of age- I was just a kid- all I knew was that I wanted to play with Barbies and hang out with friends. I’m a straight adult now, and even as prudish as my views are, I would never be so sick as to say that she deserved what they did to her. If you honestly believe that, you’re as sick as her killers, and I hope to God you don’t live anywhere near me.

September 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm
(48) Stephanie says:

This isn’t about religion. As a human being, I can’t even fathom the dissociation neccessary to be capable of not only murdering someone, but torturing someone in the way these girls did. I can’t imagine being so cold that their cries for mercy, hearing them beg for their life would fall on deaf ears. If you CAN imagine that, you’re sociopathic. I believe people that make mistakes can be reformed. If a drunk driver accidentally kills someone, he/she can be reformed (I’m not in any way condoning drunk driving), but sociopaths don’t possess a conscience. You can’t cure that. Any emotion they feel is self serving, and they are pathlogical liars by nature. Prison is just a great venue for fine-tuning these qualities.
I’m appalled that she was released early. So often, our “justice” system fails us and it’s discouraging. We have law abiding citizens out here busting their butts, barely able to eke out a living, while the state is paying for a convicted murderer to earn her bachelor’s degree?! 3 meals a day, a roof over her head, a pillow to rest her head on, free cable, and a college education- who do I need to murder to get that? Sign me up!

October 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm
(49) nancy says:

Is it me or does Laurie T have a crooked face,all the pictures I;ve seen of her show her face and features as being crooked on her face.Her face looks lop sided with one eye and eye brow up higher.I know everyones face is different from the other side but this looks very noticeable to.So is it me or is she really that deformed looking?

December 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm
(50) Michael says:

All I have to say about these girls who were involved in the murder of Shanda, is, no matter how major, or minor of a role, I wonder if any of them has done anything to change their lives around enough to ensure that they’ll get past the Pearly Gates once their ticket is punched. I lived in Louisville at the time the murder took place, and have read the book- which I own, about the case…R.I.P. Shanda.

January 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm
(51) wilson says:

This is a disgrace giving this woman murderer parole. strange how some can kill and hardly serve much time.

February 11, 2012 at 4:09 am
(52) Alex says:

I want to make passionate love to these four women, and then rape f*ck them to death.

February 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm
(53) tom says:

toni was caught in a web she went with friends and they became evil.
she tried weakly to stop it but then became scared when we think she
could have stopped it like at lauries house she was polorized with fear
she was also 15 not 24 remember when you were that age you think l
ike a armchair quarterback.

May 6, 2012 at 4:03 am
(54) Kelly says:

God isn’t real anyways. So stick your Christianity judgmental up your ass!

May 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm
(55) Sally says:

Firstly it is absolutely sad that a young girl had to lose her life in such a terrible way and I’m glad to know that at least two of the people involved are serving out their sentences, as far as I’m concerned Hope Rippey should still be in prison but I won’t say the same for Toni Lawrence as she did not directly participate in that murder but she did do the wrong thing by not calling for help at some point and I’m sure she is suffering for this every single day.

Secondly to those who want to sprout off religious and homophobic crap really need to take a long and hard look at themselves in the mirror, those people are absolutely disgusting and how dare they disrespect and degrade a victim of murder who happened to be an innocent 12 year old child and how dare they disrespect that childs family. Those people who have made those judgmental and irrelevant comments should be ashamed of themselves because they DON’T represent the majority of decent people who just happen to have religious beliefs.

Thirdly sexual orientation of any of these girls did not any direct part in this murder, ok Shanda Sharer was supposedly involved with Amanda Heavrin and had to deal with the jealous ex which was Melinda Loveless but this could have easily happened if Amanda was a boy instead of girl and there are such cases where this type of situation does happen because of a boy so to carry on about a persons sexual orientation and make idiotic homophobic comments is totally irrelevant.

Lastly my heart really does go out to Shanda and her family, I cannot begin to imagine the pain and trauma Shanda herself went through or the pain her family go through on a daily basis and I wish them every bit of peace and happiness they can get in this life.

May 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm
(56) Mother_of2 says:

I would like to send this comment directly to the former prisoner who was locked up with Toni. You are an idiot. Not sure why they let you out. Finding Jesus is all fine and well, but PUNISHMENT should fit the CRIME. She shouldn’t have aire to breathe, she should be raped with a tire iron. She is less than a human being and I hope she DIES. How’s that for finding Jesus you stupid retard????!

May 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm
(57) lisa says:

Toni’s kids should be raped and murdered. Then maybe she will get it.

June 11, 2012 at 6:51 am
(58) annie says:

If I am not mistaken Toni did contact the police within 24 hours. No she is NOT a killer. She was a terrified girl who was outnumbered and nobody can say that they wouldn’t have been just as scared. My heart breaks foe Shanda and her mother. Shanda’s father was sentenced to death that night as well. It is so tragic all the way around, and I am not including the three demons that took Shanda’s life. There is no punishment too harsh for them. It chafes my ass that anyone of them could be allowed to walk among us and enjoy the life that rightfully belongs to their victim. Melinda has nothing to contribute to society and letting her out shows the stupidity of those that allowed it. Shame on their souls!

September 11, 2012 at 10:56 pm
(59) FullMoonVideo says:

I meet Toni for a video I produced for youtube…and I will say she is a pleasant, soft spoken, petite woman…and was probably more-so as a teen. You people forget that Toni refused to go up to Shanda’s door the second time because she wanted nothing to do with it, but Hope gladly did and got Shanda out of the house. Toni did not call the cops at the 1st gas station near Utica but did not know what was going to actually transpire…she actually tried to hook up with some strange boys to leave the situation, and that would have put herself at risk. It was Hope Rippey who gladly drove Laurie’s car the 50 miles while Laurie and Melinda held Shanda at knifepoint. And at the logging trail Toni tried to stop it but was threatened at knife-point by Melinda as +size Laurie backed Melinda up and Hope prance around with Shanda’s cloths on.
More than likely Hope was left behind to watch over Toni when they were left at the Tackett residence, so Toni would not squeal. Hope proved that if she went with Laurie and Melinda she would have participated in violence to Shanda since she gladly sprayed Windex into Shanda’s open wounds when they returned…than she moved the car at the Madison gas station when a customer heard Shanda scratching on the trunk. Chose the place to burn Shanda and poured the gas and laughed her ass off with Melinda and Laurie as Shanda went up in flames. All while Toni stayed in the car refusing to participate and was prob in shock.
Toni went to the cops that night and was very upset, Hope was hid away in a motel room by her family while trying to negotiate a better deal.

September 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm
(60) FullMoonVideo says:

also…As for you Christians here…Hope Anna Rippey was set free by your fellow Christians because she was “Born Again”.
Hope and Melinda were/are in the faith based dog-training program at IWP and 1 year after Steve Sharer dies Hope is released, Melinda attempts 1 year later as both proclaim their new Christian beliefs. Indiana reentry program is run by Christians with tax dollars and they need positive results like what Hope would bring for more tax dollars. Dollars that many skim off the top. Sleepy Hollow Pet Ranch where Hope works is owned by Christians and affiliated with the reentry program….they get $$ too for having Hope work there.

Also research “Prison Fellowship Ministries” who were sued for giving prisoners who convert to Christianity special treatment and help with early release using federal grant money…after the skim.

November 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(61) MZ says:

This Godless piece of human trash should of NEVER got out of prison. What do you expect from the bleeding heart liberals who run the justice system. They have NO respect for victims. I hope all the bitches involved in this horrific murder someday die very long and painful deaths.

January 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm
(62) FullMoonVideo says:

bleeding heart liberals…not a chance, they are conservative Christians who give special treatment to all who convert to their religion…no mater what their crime. There are people in Indiana prisons serving more time for growing pot (conservatives hate this crime), than Hope Rippey did for murdering Shanda. And they want Melinda free as well.
Prison Fellowship Ministries is in prisons across the country and at IWP is affiliated with the PLUS program that Laurie Tackett joined right after Hope’s release. And PFM was sued for giving special treatment to Christians that included early release like Hope received. They specifically target high-profile inmates like Hope and Melinda, and help them because it gives them more clout with the inmate population. Thus more members and more government grants. After the skim, they use these funds to influence politicians who push for stiffer laws on non-violent crimes, thus more inmates to convert.

This is what a theocracy looks like, a confession booth for the Christians and a stake to burn the rest at outside.

February 8, 2013 at 2:18 am
(63) Jessica says:

FullMoonVideo — I’ve seen your videos on YouTube (and enjoyed them) — I agree with your opinion on Toni, however, as a Christian it feels like you’re stereotyping all Christians. Many Christians, including myself, think all of those girls (except Toni) should be prisoned for life. Also, it’s the justice system that paroled Hope. That same justice system denied Melinda and Laurie’s parole attempts. It’s the justice system that is crooked and yes, there might be some Christians who believe that Laurie, Hope and Melinda changed but there are non-Christians who believe they’ve changed too. This has more to do with certain people being naive and gullible than religion.. But ultimately, it’s the justice system that decides who gets denied and who doesn’t.

And those people who are vilifying Toni are doing so out of ignorance. They don’t see the big picture, they haven’t read the details, nor have they studied the case and personalities of the four girls like you have. If they did then maybe they would have a differing opinion.

July 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(64) Christina says:

The only one who did deserve any chance at parole is Lawrence because she was the only one with a conscience and chose NOT to perform the acts that were being done. This is absolutely unthinkable. And the fact that these are girls MY age, terrify me. I 100% believe that the other 3 girls deserve life without chance of parole. This is the worse murder case I’ve ever seen.

December 26, 2013 at 11:16 am
(65) Dimension X says:

So…if I can’t afford to pay for my own college education…I should kill someone and then I can get free college?

February 16, 2014 at 4:16 pm
(66) MaryBeth says:

I read the both books on Shanda’s murder many years ago. I was shocked to know that three teenage girls could do such a thing. I will never know why Toni did not try to help poor Shanda. She knew how scared she was. It really sickens me that whore Hope could get out of prison so early. Her sentence was a slap on the wrist. When I wrote other comments about her release, I could not understand why she had so much support. I made pleanty of enemies on that site for expressing how I felt. I hope that her life is very miserable. and may she ROT IN HELL. I feel so bad for Jacque and her sister Paige. I am very sorry to know that Steve died of a broken heart. These girls have no remorse for what they did. It was not asking too much for Hope to serve her sentence.

February 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm
(67) Rae says:

this crime is the single worst case i have ever seen and i watch true crime shows and read about them on the net. it’s horrifying to think 4 teenage girls are capable of this crime. yes i said 4, i have carefully read the case. toni had a bite mark on her arm that was not photographed or measured …she claimed it was self inflicted, was it? or did she help hold Shanda and get bitten? at 15 i would have gotten help at that filling station if i had to lock myself in the bathroom and scream for 911. toni was able, as were the other 3 to go out for breakfast and laugh how the sausage resembled the burning Shanda. i would have puked at any age. the state made a grave mistake by giving her a lighter sentence for her testimony, i do not believe it was needed for a conviction . dear film maker, u cannot possibly know what kind of person toni is from an interview. the thought that she has kids is terrifying. i dont think she is capable to make the correlation between her kids and Shanda. many serial killers are charming too. the 4 girls statements made after their convictions are chilling…all i see is me, me, me…i was abused, i was afraid, i was young, , i dont deserve to be in prison so long, i dont care what people say (per toni at her release) , i see very little about the victim. tackett’s response to the “why do murderers murder?” that was sent by a reporter to all 4 girls is chilling. look it up and read it if u have not, toni’s was not much better. i am a psych RN and my only sibling murdered in 1985, i have a good idea of how the victim’s family feels. i can tell u time help much. everyday that family is sentenced to hell for life. forgiveness? as i struggle to forgive my sister’s murderer, i try because Jesus commands it, i pray for him to help me because the bitterness and anger is tearing me up for almost 30 years . it’s up to Jesus to judge murderer’s ….it’s up to police to keep the public safe from killers.

February 22, 2014 at 12:38 pm
(68) rae says:

to the lady up there saying Shanda got what she deserved for being a lesbian….really? your as bad as these cold blooded killers, no one deserves to be tortured, raped & murdered. EVER. . shame on u for spewing such crap on a public site the victim’s family might see. Jacquie and Paige; i am so sorry for your loss and what your going through; i think of u often and pray God gives u strength to continue each day.. i am also from Indiana and disappointed with our justice system. life is very cruel to the survivors of a murder victim, their pain and suffering lasts as long as they live. . people not experiencing the what if’s and the survivor’s guilt have no clue. it shouldnt be about the convicted, it should be about the victim and family.

February 23, 2014 at 3:05 pm
(69) MaryBeth says:

Rea,
I am so sorry to know that you are suffering because of what happend to your sister. If these girls would have been in Florida, they would have got LIFE sentences. Toni too because of how severe the crime was. I wonder how Toni would feel if this happened to one of her own children? Maybe then she would have some simpathy for Shanda and her family and friends. I cannot believe that dumbass Renee for writing such a thing. She must be related to the convicted. Just do the best you can to forgive. I know that it must be very hard. You are right. It is up to God to judge.

February 28, 2014 at 9:55 am
(70) jessie says:

You know. my sister went to school with Shanda. she was a very bright beautiful young girl and just like Shandas mother jackie said. “All i ever wanted from those girls was to serve there time. The only one who has served her sentence from the get go is Laurie Tackett. they should have at the very least, served there sentence.” They owe her at least that much. Rest in Peace Shanda Renee Sharer 1979-1992 you are missed dearly by many. watch over us sweet angel baby.

March 8, 2014 at 8:01 am
(71) ROT IN HELL says:

why these monsters are getting away after doing that heinous act?i’m sorry i’ve no sympathy for ANY four of them they should be tortured like they tortured that little girl,i mean i’ve read about lots of crimes but this was the first one which gave me goosebumps and i literally cried reading details of it,it was inhuman of them.

March 8, 2014 at 8:11 am
(72) an says:

people who’re supporting these girls..oh wait animals would suit them better,so people who’re supporting these animals bc of their religion are in my eyes should be in prison with these girls or inflicted with injuries like these animals did on shanda then will they realise the magnitude of these animals crime

April 17, 2014 at 9:24 am
(73) In This Case No Forgiveness says:

Such a depraved and inhuman act those girls did to an innocent child.
Shanda wasn’t even a teenager yet and she suffered unimaginably pain before dying a terrible death one wouldn’t wish on their worst enemy.
This story is more sad than disturbing for me. I really hope that Shanda lives in peace now with her father in Heaven. I don’t understand how the Justice system allowed Hope Rippey to leave prison in ’06 and could even consider letting any of them out early for what they did. Doesn’t the system exist to keep people like that separate and away from the rest of society?? I can understand allowing Toni Lawrence out. She took no part in hurting Shanda, was the first to confess everything right after the murder, as well as lead the police to the girls who actually killed her. It’s easy to feel sympathy for Toni. Melinda, Laurie, and Hope all deserve to remain in prison for the rest of their lives w/o parole. Since they grew up in abusive environments, it would be okay to allow some opportunities to better themselves and get help. But never ever allow them out. Doing otherwise is injustice and a slap in the face to the victim and her family.