1. News & Issues
A 26-year-old Kentucky woman, who was attacked by a woman police say was trying to steal her fetus, said she had no choice but to fight to the death against her knife-welding attacker.

Sarah Brady, who is nine months pregnant, was able to turn the knife on her attacker, 22-year-old Katie Smith. Police say she acted in self defense.

Investigators say that Smith was obsessed with having a baby and had been trying to deceive her family and friends into thinking that she was pregnant. She then lured the pregnant Brady to her apartment under false pretenses in order to steal her unborn child, they say.

Smith called Sarah Brady and told her that her name was "Sarah Brody" and had received some baby gifts that were intended for Brady. When Brady went to Smith's apartment, she became suspicious and tried to leave. That's when Smith attacked her with the knife.

"The only thing I thought was that she was going to kill me and my child," told ABC News. "I was able to get the knife away from her after several minutes of struggling. Unfortunately, she was wounded and didn't make it."

See Also:
Mom-to-Be Says She Had to Kill Attacker

Comments

October 28, 2007 at 10:09 pm
(1) Ms. Sugar Walls says:

I am watching this on televison right now, as I type! It is on Oxgyen!
She should have stabbed her! she had to do what she had to do!

May 17, 2009 at 2:46 pm
(2) A.Cotto says:

I saw this episode on “Snapped” and now I am reading the book “Saving Grace”. After seeing and reading this traumatic story, I believe that Sarah Brady had ever right to defend herself and her unborn child. The world is a frightening place and Sarah is a very strong woman for being able to escape with her life and her child’s life as well.

August 3, 2010 at 1:13 am
(3) abby smith says:

Katie is my sister, and I love her so who are you people to only believe the living side of the story what about us? The family? What about what we want through, plus how do you even know if she’s telling the truth? You are all stupid!

November 25, 2011 at 9:47 am
(4) Jennifer says:

So you’re arguing … what, exactly? That a strange pregnant woman went to your sister’s apartment, figured out she was faking her pregnancy, and killed her out of spite? Seriously? Because there aren’t a lot of scenarios where your sister is both an innocent victim AND someone who lied about being pregnant. It’s okay to
acknowledge she was ill and desperate.

August 3, 2010 at 1:17 am
(5) abby smith says:

What is wrong with you people, thats my Dead sister! Why are people only willing to believe in people who can speak up, well I’m speaking for Katie, that’s not how it went down! So all you are just STUPID!

August 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm
(6) leah says:

double hoo-ray for mom Sarah Brady, a real mom who protected her baby because she loves that precious bundle so much. She fought for that baby. There are alot of moms like her and others who just don’t care.

September 10, 2010 at 9:01 am
(7) stephen says:

Abby Smith,,

By all the evidence they collected from the crime scene would only indicate that your sister was in fact a cold blooded killer.

This should be no reflection on you except for the fact that you yourself and family are victums as well

June 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm
(8) Rodrigo says:

Abbie Smith, I am not saying this just to disrespect you, I am saying this because it is the truth. Your sister did try to kill that woman, and kidnap her baby.

January 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm
(9) Lindsey Rapisarda says:

This story reminds me of the story on Deadly Women about the women telling people she was pregnant when she wasn’t and then trying to steal a baby from a pregnant women.

January 25, 2012 at 1:29 am
(10) Taly says:

Abby Smith
Did your dad sexually molest you to? You can break this vicious cycle. What happen to your sister is horrible and unfortunately never got the help she needed. This tragedy could have possibly been avoided. Sarah did what any normal mother would have done. Our most important job as a mother is to protect our baby and that’s what she did.
I Hope you and your family find peace. Abby get HELP! Find a shrink!

January 28, 2012 at 6:42 pm
(11) tasha says:

Abby,are u mental or just retarded.If ur sister was the victim plz tell us y she faked pregnancy as well as a fake name close 2 Sarahs & the phony story….it has nothin 2 do with believing the dead or living,but everything 2 with common sense.Kudos Sarah u did what u had 2 do 2 save u & ur baby….Bye crazy katie

January 28, 2012 at 6:50 pm
(12) tasha says:

Abby,really ur gonna call us stupid….no stupid was getting on this site 2 justify what ur desperate 4 a baby sister did 2 innocent Sarah.In all honesty if a poll is taken,u would tip the scale ur way for stupidity….u need some meds

July 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm
(13) Jacinta says:

I just sow it I discovery and that women (Katie) deserve it

October 26, 2012 at 11:25 pm
(14) muskoka23 says:

I doubt that’s a real “abby smith.” Her real sister would never come on a random website and start making stump speeches about her family. As if she doesn’t have enough to worry about with the police investigating her family, her sister’s mental state, and her alcoholic parents — one of whom went to prison for five years. This is just some prankster trying to get people all excited, faking he’s her sister, just like she faked her pregnancy.

December 30, 2012 at 11:29 pm
(15) Mike Skillern says:

Iam currently reading saving grace and from what im reading,Sarah Brady is the strongest pregnant woman I haveever heard of.This just proves that a parents love is the strongest orce in the universe.I will not even mention that fat and ungly phsyc.That would be glorifing her.

August 26, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(16) tiara says:

abby how do we kno for sure if katie smith is your sister?